仪器信息网APP
选仪器、听讲座、看资讯

Cold weather sweeps across most of China

专业英语

• Much of China is experiencing cold weather and snowfall.

In the south, freezing rain is falling in Guizhou Province, with the lowest temperature under 0 degrees Celsius. But experts say transportation will not be affected by the icy weather. Zhejiang Province in the east was hit by the first snowfall on Friday.

In the northwestern Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, people have suffered through temperatures as low as minus 25 degrees Celsius. Heavy snow in southwest China’s Tibet Autonomous Region is still falling. More than 2,000 affected people have been sent to temporary shelters and roads that were closed are expected to reopen gradually.

(CNTV)

+关注 私聊
  • poorlittle

第1楼2012/02/11

After reading “0 degrees” above, I searched with Google and found that both of “0 degrees” and “0 degree” were used. I further searched “ 1 degree” and “1 degrees” and found that when degree is used as a unit, “1 degree” is generally used.

With reference to 2 meters, 4 pounds, 5 feet, it seems that degree should be in plural form except for one degree.

0.6 degree or 0.6 degrees?

Perhaps, I should visit NIST’s website for further information.

+关注 私聊
  • symmacros

第2楼2012/02/12

应助达人

1 degree, 0 degrees, I do not know 0.6 degree or 0.6 degrees?
    Also 1.2 degree or degrees, I perfer to degree.

+关注 私聊
  • learner1999

第3楼2012/02/14

应助达人

although Much of China is experiencing cold weather and snowfall,Northeast had a little snowfall this year.

+关注 私聊
  • rock_rock

第4楼2012/03/21

I think the key point is not on degree or degrees (as mentioned, both are acceptable). More important is whether "under" or "below" should be used?

"under" and "below" apparently have almost the same meaning, but the usage is different. Normally, when we are referring to a "number", we should use "below" and "above". E.g. "his age is below/above 30".

"under" is usually used for relative position of an object, or referring to a situation of "insufficient".

In this article, it should be "below 0 degrees Celcius"

+关注 私聊
  • symmacros

第5楼2012/03/25

应助达人

"below 0 degrees Celcius" may be better.

rock_rock(rock_rock) 发表:I think the key point is not on degree or degrees (as mentioned, both are acceptable). More important is whether "under" or "below" should be used?

"under" and "below" apparently have almost the same meaning, but the usage is different. Normally, when we are referring to a "number", we should use "below" and "above". E.g. "his age is below/above 30".

"under" is usually used for relative position of an object, or referring to a situation of "insufficient".

In this article, it should be "below 0 degrees Celcius"

猜你喜欢最新推荐热门推荐更多推荐
举报帖子

执行举报

点赞用户
好友列表
加载中...
正在为您切换请稍后...