省部重点实验室
第1楼2012/06/03
16. 据我所知是这样。Yes, as far as I know. = Yes, as far as I can tell。
= Yes, to the best of my knowledge。
■ as far as 用以表示范围或程度,意为“在……范围内,就……而言”
17. 恐怕是这样的。I’m afraid so. Section
A: I’ve heard he lost his bag。
我听说他把包丢了。
B: I’m afraid so. 恐怕是这样的。
18. 事情肯定是这样的。It can’t be otherwise。
= It must be。
★ otherwise [5QTEwaiz] ad. 不同地,否则
19. 我正要说这事。That’s just what I’m getting at。
A: Lily is ill in hospital. Would you like to go to see her?
莉莉生病住院了,你想去看她吗?
B: That’s just what I’m getting at。
我正要说这事。
20. 我想是吧。I believe so。
= I think so。
○ To my understanding. 我是这样理解的。
21. 我一点都不知道。I don’t have the slightest idea。
○ I have no idea. 我不知道。
○ No idea. 我不知道。
○ I don’t know. 我不知道。
“I don’t have the slightest
idea。”比“I have no idea。”的否定语气更加强烈。
22. 那是不对的。That’s not right. A: She was born in 1854. 她出生于 1854 年。 B: That’s not right. 那是不对的。
23. 全错了。It’s all wrong. A: The plane will take off at 4 pm。
飞机下午四点起飞。
B: It’s all wrong. 全错了。
24. 你全弄错了。You’ve got it all wrong. = Wrong on both counts。
25. 我想你错了。I don’t think you’re right about it. A: I don’t think you’re right about it。
我想你错了。
B: Oh, really? 哦,真的吗?
26. 我不是那个意思。That’s not what I mean。
= I didn’t mean that。
○ You misunderstood me. 你误解我了。
27. 你的想法根本就是错的。Your idea is fundamentally wrong。
A: Life is meaningless. 生活真没意思。
B: Your idea is fundamentally wrong。
你的想法根本就是错的。
★ fundamentally ad. 根本地
28. 实际情况并非如此。It’s actually not the case。
A: You must be very busy。
你一定很忙。
B: It’s actually not the case。
实际情况并非如此。
29. 当然不是。Certainly not. = Of course not。
30. 我不这样认为。I don’t think so。
A: She is cute. 她很可爱。
B: I don’t think so. 我不这样认为。
31. 没有必要走得那么早。There’s no need to start out that early. A: Could we start at twelve?
Section
12 点出发可以吗?
B: There’s no need to start out that early. Let’s make it one o’clock and we still leave
half an hour’s margin。
没有必要走得那么早,咱们定在 1 点吧,那样还能留出半小时空余时间。 ● start out“出发,动身”
32. 怎么会这样?How could that be?
= How could that happen?
33. 绝对不是。No way。
= Never。
= Definitely not. = Absolutely not。
■ 非常坚决地否定或拒绝。
34. 那也太没道理了。That makes no sense。
= That doesn’t make sense。
● make sense“有意义,讲得通”
35. 我没说那个。I’m not talking about that. = That’s not what I’m talking about。
A: The movie is very interesting。
电影很有意思。
B: I’m not talking about that。
我没说那个。
● talk about“谈论,讨论”
36. 瞎说。Rubbish。
= Nonsense。
A: You must fall in love with Jane。
你一定爱上简了。
B: Rubbish。
瞎说。
★ rubbish [5rQbiF] n. 废话,胡说八道
37. 恐怕这儿有点儿误解。I’m afraid there’s some misunderstanding here。
A: Why do I have to pay it myself?
为什么我要自己付款呢?
B: I’m afraid there’s some misunderstanding here。
恐怕这儿有点误解。